Associate Professor Poyraz Gurson
After completing primary and secondary education in Karşıyaka-İzmir, Gurson entered the Military Academy in 1984 and graduated in 1988. He completed his second undergraduate education at the Department of Journalism at the Faculty of Communication at Marmara University, Istanbul. In 1999, he completed his masters degree at the Department of Political Sciences and International Relations at the Faculty of Economics at Istanbul University. During his master studies, he focused on the developments in the Balkans, the Middle East and Asia. He received his PhD degree from the Department of Public Relations and Publicity at Ege University,İzmir in 2004. He was promoted to Associate Professorship in the field of Political Life and Institutions by the Interuniversity Board on March 12, 2015.
Gurson started his duty as an artillery officer in different garrisons of the Turkish Armed Forces in Gaziantep in 1989 and continued as battalion / unit commander in the following years. He served in the Special Forces Command in the Syrian border troops and in Iraq in 2001. He also participated to the Refugee Control courses at the UN, and lastly, he worked as a Plan Officer at the Communication Department of the General Staff of the Republic of Turkey.
He retired from Turkish Armed Forces in 2007 and continued his career as an academician at Atılım University, Ankara. Since 2009, he has been working as a research academician at a research center of Trento University (Italy) where he conducted destination-based studies in Centre for Aesthetics in Practice Community Landscapes Design. Between July – August 2010, Gürson conducted Erasmus Mundus Academic Staff studies on “Mao and Chinese Media’’ at Hunan University (Changsha / China). In 2010, his first book on Syria was published in Turkey. Gurson was in Damascus and Beirut region many times in order to do research for his book.
- Destined Glory Maneuvers, Public Information Officer (PIO), Caligiari/ITALY, November 2004.
- Turkish General Staff , Department of Communications, Symposium, PR Planning, Media Analyzing, Press Conferences Organizing Activities, 2004 – 2006.
- Marytr Lieutenant Caner GÖNYELİ Maneuvers, PIO, Girne/TRNC, June 2005.
- International Leadership Symposium, PIO, İstanbul, May 2005.
- Symposium on Global Terrorism and International Cooperation, Ankara, March 2006.
- Refugee Management PSO Course, BM, November 2007.
- Accredited Mermaid Maneuvers, PIO, Toulon/FRANCE, October 2006.
- UN Military Observer Course, Lecturer, Ankara, 2006 – 2007.
- Hattuşa/Aystra(Güre) Thermal Resort Project, Brand Management Consultant, Ankara, 2007 – (Ongoing).
- Representative of Faculty of Management for Strategic Plan of Atilim University, 2008.
- MSI (Military Science and Intelligence), Editor in Chief , 2008 – 2009.
- Chairperson Assistant Professor Dr. Public Relations and Advertisement, Atilim University 2011 – 2014.
- Representative of Quality/Sufficiency for Bologna Process, Atilim University, 2009.
- Vision 2023 Congress, Secretary for 2009, Atilim University, 2009.
- Solar Car Project, Consultant PR Academician, 2009.
- Academic Coordinator Erasmus Mundus Project, Atilim University, 2009.
- Media Monitoring System Software, Consultant Academician, 2010.
- Centre for Aesthetics in Practice/Research Associates/Departments of Philosophy, History and Cultural Heritage – University of Trento/ITALY
- Center of Promoting Ideas Lifetime Membership, New York-USA.
- China-USA Business Review and Chinese Business Review, Arbitration Activities, Bitlis Eren University Graduate School of Social Sciences, 2014.
- 2nd European Conference on Social Media ECSM 2015 School of Accounting and Administration at the Polytechnic Institute of Porto, Portugal 9-10 July 2015,Student Use of Facebook for Informal Learning and Peer Support, 2015.
- First International Workshop on Communication Technology for Social Networks (CTSN 2015) and International Journal of Communication Technology for Social Networks (IJCTSN), 2015.
- 14th Australasian Centre on Social and Environmental Accounting Research Conference A-CSEAR 2015, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia on the 10 -11 December 2015.
- Nişantaşı University, International Relations, 2015 – 2016.
- Kocaeli University, International Relations, 2015.
- Kocaeli University, International Relations, Head of Department of International Law, April, 2016.
- The founding membership of Türkiye Gaziler Vakfı, April 2016.
- Kocaeli Üniversitesi Değirmendere Ali ÖZBAY MYO Director , Octaber, 2016.